Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 1-1 Forest Green Rovers

29 September 2018

Scott Wilson’s 55th minute equaliser meant Macclesfield kept a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw with Forest Green Rovers at the Moss Rose.

The visitor’s, who haven’t lost a league game so far this season, took the lead just after the break via a Dayle Grubb free-kick only for Wilson to equalise moments later.

However, there was late controversy in the last 10 minutes when referee Graham Salisbury awarded Macclesfield a penalty only for him to change his mind seconds later in a game which could have finished very differently.

Mark Yates made a number of chances coming into today’s game. Jared Hodgkiss returned to the side after a lengthy spell on the sidelines whereas Koby Arthur, Nathan Blissett and Scott Wilson also returned to the team as Mark Yates opted for a 4-3-3 formation.

Macclesfield came flying out of the traps in the opening exchanges at the Moss Rose. Scott Wilson and Koby Arthur had attempts at goal but none troubled Forest Green goalkeeper Robert Sanchez.

The Silkmen had the best chance of the half moments after that. David Fitzpatrick’s long-range pass found Jared Hodgkiss in space on the right wing and he picked out Tyrone Marsh six yards from goal with a pinpoint cross. However, Marsh’s acrobatic effort was straight at Sanchez.

Whilst Macc were piling on the pressure in attack, the team were doing equally as well in defence. Rovers striker Rueben Reid curled a shot towards goal, but the resulting effort didn’t trouble Kieran O’Hara from outside the box.

However, the away side did have one of the better chances of the half. After a quick counter attack, Reece Brown found himself in space, but his fierce drive flew wide of the target and the scores stayed level going into half-time.

However, straight after the break the deadlock was broken. Rovers’ George Williams was brought down outside the box and half-time substitute Dayle Grubb curled the resulting free-kick into the top corner despite Kieran O’Hara’s best efforts.

Although just moments later the scores were level again. On 55 minutes Scott Wilson beat the Forest Green offside trap via Danny Whitaker’s defence splitting ball and the forward kept his composure to slot the ball past Sanchez whilst he was one on one.

The Silkmen didn’t stop there as just four minutes later Tyrone Marsh nearly headed Macc in front. David Fitzpatrick whipped a free-kick into the box and Marsh rose highest to meet the ball, but Robert Sanchez managed to gather the ball on the line in the nick of time.

Mark Yates’ side had the wind beneath their sails and Forest Green survived another scare in the 67th minute. This time Peter Vincenti beat the visitor’s offside trap and the midfielder burst through on goal. However, his resulting shot trickled agonisingly wide of the post after he shot from a tight angle.

Going into the last ten minutes both teams were searching for a winner. Forest Green thought they had done just that in the 84th minute when Ruben Reid lobbed Kieran O’Hara, only for the Manchester United loanee to acrobatically tip his shot over the bar after tracking back.

Then there was controversy. Once again Scott Wilson beat the offside trap and ran through on goal only to be brought down in the box by Sanchez. Referee Graham Salisbury pointed to the spot, only to retract his decision moments later after speaking to the linesman and booked Scott Wilson for diving.

The fourth official added on seven minutes of added time and both teams had chances to snatch all three points at the end. David Fitzpatrick cleared an effort off the line before Tyrone Marsh hit a shot straight at the goalkeeper up at the other end of the field. However, the score stayed at 1-1 at the full-time whistle in an entertaining game.

Attendance: 1,503 (135 Forest Green)

Macclesfield Starting XI: O’Hara, Hodgkiss, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Kelleher, Marsh, Wilson, Blissett, Maycock, Arthur, Whitaker (Vincenti 58’)

Subs Not Used: Grimes, Smith, Taylor, Welch-Hayes, Napa, Pearson

By Andrew Gate

Advertisement block