Skip to main content Skip to site footer

On This Day: Hull City 1 v 3 Macclesfield Town. 17th September 2002.

17 September 2018

Sixteen years ago today, David Moss' Macclesfield Town travelled to Boothferry Park to face Hull City for the penultimate time.

The Tigers were a matter of weeks away from opening their glamorous new stadium at the time, as an army of Silkmen fans made the journey over to East Yorkshire just four days after seeing their side defeated at Southend United.

Macc certainly made the greater impression during the opening exchanges, as Danny Whitaker and Matthew Tipton both came close to breaking the deadlock.

Despite this, it would be the hosts who struck first as Stuart Green fired past Steve Wilson just past the quarter hour mark.

This undoubtedly galvanised the home side, as they committed themselves to doubling their advantage before the half-time interval.

A string of phenomenal saves from Wilson, coupled with a defiant showing by the defensive quartet of Danny Adams, Dave Ridler, Steve Hitchen and Darren Tinson ensured that The Tigers did not manage to secure their second goal however and as the half-time whistle blew, nobody could really have expected what was to follow.

The Silkmen came out rejuvenated for the second period and just two minutes had past when Michael Welch's thunderous effort restored parity.

It was to get better for Moss' side three minutes later when Bermudian international Kyle Lightbourne hammered home to send the travelling contingent into ecstasy.

As you would expect, buoyed by a large and vociferous support Hull began to lay siege on Wilson's goal.

Wave after wave of pressure was gallantly repelled by our blue and white clad heroes and with time running out, The Tigers began to push men forward in search of the equaliser.

That left spaces at the back of course and this was capitalised on to the full right on the stroke of full-time when John Askey finished a lighting Silkmen break for goal number three.

After two long away trips, The Silkmen faithful headed back home after witnessing a memorable victory which lives in the memory to this day.

Advertisement block