Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Lincoln City's Visits To The Moss Rose - Part One

13 September 2018

In total, Lincoln City have made the journey over to the Moss Rose on twenty-two previous occasions and as we continue our build up to this Saturday's twenty-third encounter, we take a look back at each of these.

The Imps first visited the Moss Rose back in November 1968 as Frank Beaumont's Silkmen side were paired with Lincoln in the FA Cup First Round.

After an historic cup run which culminated at Fulham the previous season, Macc were keen to embark on another glorious run which would propel them into the gaze of the national media once more.

Goals from Brian Fidler and Dick Young had secured The Silkmen's safe passage into the First Round, as Beaumont's side disposed of Retford United in the last qualifying round to set-up the clash with the Football League side.

The reigning Cheshire League Champions gallantly fought against their illustrious visitors, yet former Manchester City striker John Clay's strike proved to be a mere consolation as Lincoln progressed courtesy of a 3 - 1 victory.

It would be twenty years until The Imps would next visit the Moss Rose and when they did, it would be as footballing equals as the two sides contested a Vauxhall Conference fixture.

The Silkmen were competing in the fifth tier for the first time in our history and played host to a Lincoln side who were determined to bounce straight back to the Football League, after they experienced a heart-breaking relegation on goal average the season before.

Despite the fact that their promotion bid ultimately proved to be successful, Lincoln's progress was stalled at the Moss Rose - as goals from John Askey and Keith Mountford handed Peter Wragg's side a well deserved three points towards the end of their inaugural Vauxhall Conference season.

Lincoln's elevation to the country's footballing elite in 1988 meant that they would not make the trip over to Macclesfield again for another twenty years - yet when they did, they played their part in an iconic fixture during our memorable promotion winning season.

Sammy McIlroy's side came into the April 1998 fixture dreaming of a second successive promotion, after the Conference title had been secured with a last day victory at Kettering Town the previous May.

Our blue and white clad heroes boasted an incredible run which had seen us go unbeaten at the Moss Rose all season, with our impenetrable defence being amongst the meanest in the country.

Despite this, The Imps were also having a successful season and they also had  realistic ambitions of reaching the third tier.

The match itself was a tight, cagey affair, with both sides largely confined to midfield attrition.

Tempers flared midway through the second half, as Imps 'keeper Barry Richardson appeared to kick midfielder Martin McDonald whilst he was on the floor and this ignited a twenty-two man confrontation which ultimately saw Richardson dismissed alongside Macc's Ben Sedgemore.

A cauldron of noise erupted within the Moss Rose, as both set's of fans vehemently willed their side forward in the face of what they believed to be red card injustice.

Ryan Price produced a string of magical saves in the Silkmen goal, before Steve Wood smashed an 88th minute winner past Alan Marriott to send the Silkmen faithful into delirium.

Both sides would ultimately secure promotion that season and as such, we met again at the Moss Rose in August 1998 - this time to contest a Nationwide League Division Two fixture.

The game itself did not live up to expectations, with neither side able to break the deadlock in a rather mundane goalless draw.

Macclesfield and Lincoln both found themselves suffering relegation at the end of the 1998/99 campaign and returned to the fourth tier determined to make an immediate return.

The two sides met for the fifth time at the Moss Rose in February 2000, where a twenty-sixth minute strike by John Askey proved to be enough to hand Peter Davenport's side a share of the spoils in a one-all draw.

Davenport's side fared better the following September, when a goal either side of half-time by Damien Whitehead helped to secure a 2- 0 victory for the hosts.

Former West Ham United midfielder Kevin Keen took temporary change of The Silkmen the next time that Lincoln visited in October 2001, yet he could not inspire the team as he saw his side suffer a 1 - 0 defeat.

David Moss was to experience the same fate on Boxing Day 2002, as Lincoln claimed their third victory at the Moss Rose with a solitary winner dividing the two teams.

The sides next met in March 2004 with Macc deep in relegation fear and despite the fact that The Silkmen managed to earn a credible goalless draw that day, it would mark the end of John Askey's first stint as Manager, as he made way for Brian Horton.

Two goals in the last ten minutes from Jon Parkin secured all three points for Horton's men the next time the two sides met at the Moss Rose back in December 2004.

"The Beast" continued his fine early season form to help launch a dramatic finale to the game,  which also kept Macc in contention for automatic promotion.

Ultimately, The Silkmen would finish in fifth position and faced Lincoln in a two-legged Play-Off Semi Final.

After Gareth McCauley had given The Imps a slender one goal advantage at Sincil Bank the week before, Horton's men were confident of overturning the deficit as the sides returned to the Moss Rose for the return leg.

The boys in blue certainly came out full of defiance and belief too, as they laid siege on the Lincoln goal during the opening exchanges.

Matthew Tipton, Kevin Townsen and Jon Parkin all went close to breaking the deadlock, before McAuley doubled Lincoln's advantage as he converted Gary Taylor-Fletcher's cross from close range.

The Silkmen continued to believe that the odds could be overturned, as they gallantly looked to find a way back into the tie.

Our reward came fourteen minutes from time, as Paul Harsley unleashed a ferocious low drive which curled around Alan Marriott and nestled in far corner of the net.

The home side continued to press forward, with Parkin fizzing a low shot marginally wide in the latter exchanges with Marriott also tipping a twenty yard Danny Whitaker attempt over the bar right at the death.

Keith Alexander's Lincoln side progressed to the Play-Off Final, where they suffered Millennium Stadium heartache after Southend United claimed their place in League One on the back of a 2 - 0 victory.


Part Two of our look back at Lincoln's visits to the Moss Rose will appear on tomorrow.

Advertisement block