Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 0-1 Notts County

6 October 2018

Macclesfield Town suffered defeat this afternoon, as they were beaten by Harry Kewell’s Notts County side 1-0 at the Moss Rose.

Football League veteran Jon Stead fired the only goal of the game when his coolly converted spot-kick stole all three points for the high climbing Magpies.

The Silkmen were positive for large periods of the match and will be disappointed to see their unbeaten run come to an end following two well-earnt draws with Forest Green Rovers and Newport County.

The defeat means another win for Kewell’s County side as the Australian manager has inspired three back-to-back victories as the Magpies climb up to 17th in the league table.

Mark Yates’ side can take positives from the game but will be disappointed once again to see another game slip from their fingers in the final ten minutes of the match.

The home side began brightly with some excellent play down the left-hand side saw Fitzpatrick enjoying possession in the Notts County territory. The left-back attempted to find Nathan Blissett in the box with a teasing cross, but the ball was cleared.

Blissett was again looking to cause the visitors problems, and the forward attempted to beat the offside trap and sought to force a headed effort towards goal. His attempt to guide the header from sixteen-yards out failed to challenge The Magpies keeper as Ross Fitzsimons easily collected the ball.

The hosts began to dominate the ball and finally were rewarded with a set-piece in a dangerous position. Marsh won the free-kick down the right-hand side and handed the ball to Fitzpatrick who looked to add to his brace of set-pieces against Newport in mid-week.

However, the Silkmen skipper’s effort failed to get past the first man and was cleared by the County wall.

Some patient build-up play from the hosts saw Wilson hold the ball up before feeding Marsh. The forward then played a delicious ball through to Blissett who fired first time, forcing another smart save from Fitzsimons.

Wilson won another free-kick for the Silkmen which was quickly taken by Fitzpatrick. The pair combined cleverly to give Fitzpatrick space to cross; however, his delivery was cleared behind for a corner.

The second half saw the visitors grow into the match, although, despite the run of play a near chance for Blissett was followed by Notts County’s Enzio Boldewijn going down in the box.

The referee gave the decision no hesitation as Matt Donohue waved the penalty away.

Peter Vincenti found some rare space on the edge of the Notts County area to whip in a cross which was met by Tyrone Marsh, but, the forward mishit his attempted volley, and the ball was cleared.

Further danger down the right saw some intelligent link-up play saw Marsh tee off Arthur, but the midfield-man was unable to find another Macc player with his cross, but the ball eluded everyone in its path before being smashed away by the Notts County defence.

The turning point of the match for the Silkmen occurred with only seven minutes left play. An attempted back pass from Fiacre Kelleher left O’Hara exposed, and the Manchester United loanee came darting out before bringing down Enzio leaving the referee no choice but to award the Magpies a penalty.

Stead picked up the ball before firing his effort into the roof of the net to send the travelling away fans into delirium as the away side claimed all three points on the day.

The Silkmen must dust themselves off as Yate’s troops must turn their attention to Tuesday’s Checkatrade Trophy encounter against Accrington Stanley.

Macclesfield: O’Hara, Hodgkiss, Lowe, Kelleher, Fitzpatrick (C), Maycock, Vincenti (Rose 75), Arthur (Napa 70), Blissett (Smith 70), Wilson, Marsh

Notts County: Fitzsimons, Tootle, Hewitt, Alessandra (Thomas 69), Boldewijn, Hemmings, Brisley (Husin 76), Ward, Evina, Turley, Stead

Advertisement block