Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Macclesfield Town 2 v 1 Carlisle United

20 October 2018

The Silkmen claimed their first victory of the season as two late goals secured all three points in a fiercely contested game at the Moss Rose.

Carlisle had the better of the opening exchanges, their most notable opportunity being a shot which was dragged just wide from Jerry Yates.

However, the Silkmen started to turn the tide of the game around the 20-minute mark and even had the ball in the net, but Peter Vincenti saw his header ruled out for offside.

Macclesfield sustained this pressure towards the end of the half with Vincenti again close to putting the Silkmen ahead, but he couldn’t get onto David Fitzpatrick’s cross.

Jack Sowerby then skimmed the top of the Macclesfield net with a fierce effort from just outside the box as the visitors tried to turn the tide back in their favour.

The Silkmen then carved out their best opportunity of the half on 40 minutes, but Tyrone Marsh could not divert the ball past Adam Collin in the Carlisle net after being played clean through on the visitors’ goal.

Moments later the Silkmen could have found themselves one down as Carlisle whipped a dangerous ball into the six-yard area, but no one could connect for the cumbrians.

Carlisle then took the lead early in the second half as Ashley Nadeson bundled the ball in after a cross into a congested penalty area.

Despite an apparent foul on Rhys Taylor in the Macclesfield goal, the referee allowed the goal to stand.

The Silkmen almost replied instantly but Nathan Blissett couldn’t bring the ball down in time in the Carlisle penalty box and the visitors managed to scramble the ball away from danger.

Blissett had a chance to find the net again moments later but could not quite reach Malachi Napa’s cross from the right-hand side.

The Silkmen continued to press and David Fitzpatrick came close to levelling, but his low drive skimmed agonisingly wide.

Vincenti was the next player to try and find the equalizer for Macc, but his header flew just wide after some good link up play between Marsh and Hodgkiss.

Harry Smith then connected with a Michael Rose corner, but his header flew over the crossbar as Macc were again left frustrated.

Taylor flew out of the Macclesfield net to intercept a rare Carlisle attack before the ball fell to Smith who hit his shot straight at Collin in the Carlisle goal.

Macclesfield finally found a breakthrough on 79 minutes through a Michael Rose penalty after substitute Ben Stephens went down in the box under a challenge from the Carlisle defence.

Rose made no mistake from the spot and calmly rolled the ball into the left-hand side of the net to level it for the Silkmen.

The Silkmen then took the lead minutes later as Peter Vincenti slid the ball in at the far post after Smith pulled the ball back.

Blissett came close to sealing the points in stoppage time but his effort was kept out by a combination of the Carlisle defence and the woodwork, but the Silkmen held on to claim all three points.

Advertisement block