Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Silkmen Bow Out Of FA Youth Cup

30 October 2018

Macclesfield Town Under 18s experienced FA Youth Cup heartbreak on Monday evening as they bowed out of the competition at South Shields.

On a bitterly cold October evening, the match started at a frantic pace, with both sides looking to stamp their authority on the game in the opening exchanges.

With just three minutes on the clock the hosts broke the deadlock when some great work down the left by Bailey Judson saw him find Sam Hodgson in the area and he made no mistake in firing past Ben Parkinson in the Macc goal.

The opener undoubtedly catalysed Jim Hall's side into action - so much so that parity was restored in less than sixty second. Mohammed Hussein burst through the Mariners defence, before calmly slotting the ball past Jacob Bramley - much to the delight of the army of Silkmen followers who had made the long journey up to the North East.

Both sides then tried to force the play and had numerous chances to add to the scoreline, before a free kick from the right broke to Michael Annang-Colquhoun on 14 minutes and he restored the host's lead in emphatic style.

Once again, Macc staged a reaction and were unlucky not to have drawn level shortly after when Sam Jordan unleashed a terrifying attempt from the edge of the area which was well saved by Bramley.

South Shields would extend their lead on 28 minutes however, when Judson's corner from the right was headed home by Annang-Colquhoun for his second goal of the game.

Ali Ezzedine was then forced to sit out of the rest of the contest through injury and seconds after his withdrawal Macc could well have reduced the deficit when Tom Kerr's glanced header flew agonisingly wide of the far post.

The Silkmen started the second period in defiant mood, as they looked to claw their way back into the game and launch a spirited comeback. 

Nine minutes into the second period South Shields claimed their fourth when Hodgson smashed home his second goal of the game from close range.

Despite numerous opportunities for Jim Hall's men, it was the hosts who would extend their lead on 63 minutes when Sam Hodgson completed his hat-trick with a powerful header at the near post.

With eighteen minutes left on the clock The Mariners would make it six with a superb solo effort from William McCamley, yet The Silkmen never gave up the fight and on 81 minutes Jake Hall reduced the arrears after he latched onto an innovative Jordan through ball to fire past Bramley.

Ultimately though it proved not to be enough and South Shields deservedly took their place in the Second Round.

After the game, we caught up with Jim Hall and Sam Jordan -


Macclesfield Town: Parkinson, Madiera, Nolan, Kerr, Ezzedine, Philips, Richardson, Hall, Hussein, Jordan, Samms.

Subs: Dolling, Box, Cobey, Duran, Holden

Advertisement block