Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Our Trips To Face Tranmere

12 October 2018

The vast majority of our previous trips to Tranmere were to face their Reserve side in the Cheshire League. 

Between March 1921 and March 1968, we made the journey to face the Merseysider’s second string forty five times in total.

The Silkmen’s record in these fixtures proved to be pretty disappointing, as we won just seven times, drawing five and losing on thirty three occasions.

In actual fact Tranmere won the first fourteen matches they hosted, before Macc secured an emphatic 6 – 1 victory on 7th April 1934.

The club’s all time record goalscorer Albert Valentine scored a hat-trick that day, with Austerbury bagging a brace and Owen completing the rout.

Following on from our Cheshire League clashes, the next time the two sides would meet would be in the Cheshire Senior Cup on 2nd November 2000 where Macc progressed thanks to a 2 -1 victory. Despite being drawn away from home, that game would ultimately be played at the Moss Rose.

Two further trips to Merseyside in the Cheshire Senior Cup then ensued, with the home side running out 1 – 0 victors in 2002. Yet Macc were to avenge this eight years later with a 4 – 2 Semi Final Second Leg win to send us through to the Final.

In terms of league competition, our first visit to Prenton Park came on 2nd January 2016 where Jack Sampson’s first goal of the season proved to be enough to give the visitors maximum points.

Sampson latched on to Chris Holroyd’s tantalising cross in the 31st minute to tap home the winner, yet Macc were indebted to both Ritchie Branaghan for a string of fine saves and also to the Referee for disallowing a late strike for the Super White Army.

Tranmere were not in the mood for handing presents out the next time we visited, as they surged to the top of the National League courtesy of a 1 – 0 victory on Boxing Day 2016.

Jeff Hughes nodded home the winner and despite Macc having numerous chances to restore parity, could not breach the Merseysider’s defence.

We then visited Prenton Park was on 18th March 2017, to contest the FA Trophy Semi Final Second Leg.

In a memorable afternoon for the club, Ollie Norburn fired a 68th minute drive home to send Macc to Wembley courtesy of a 2 -1 aggregate win.

The last time we made the journey over to Birkenhead proved to be equally as memorable and took place earlier this year, on 20th February.

Macc came into the game on the back of an inspiring away victory at Aldershot and faced a Tranmere side who boasted nine consecutive victories prior to the fixture.

Buoyed by an incredible away support, Macc repelled copious amounts of early pressure before Danny Whitaker struck in first half injury time.

Andy Cook restored parity four minutes into the second half, yet two majestic Elliott Durrell strikes, coupled with a Whitaker penalty saw Macc claim a crucial victory in our promotion winning season.

Advertisement block