Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Silkmen Suffer Shrimps Setback As Durrell Returns

6 November 2018

Macclesfield Town suffered a 3 - 0 defeat in our inaugural Central League Cup outing at Morecambe this afternoon.

The Silkmen named a strong side at the Globe Arena - which included the return of midfielder Elliott Durrell, as he made his long awaited comeback from the groin injury which has seen him miss the entirety of the season so far.

The visitors made all of the early running and with just two minutes on the clock, Nathan Blissett was unlucky to see his angled header fly marginally wide of the far post.

That said, it was the visitors who struck first sixty seconds later with their first spell of concerted possession. Kieran O'Hara made a point blank save at his near post, yet Florent Cuvelier was on hand to fire home from close range.

Macc responded well and even in the early exchanges, it was clear that Durrell was looking to make up for lost time with a series of mesmerising runs which Morecambe struggled to contain.

Tyrone Marsh blasted over the Morecambe bar on twelve minutes, before he met Durrell's magical cross from the left four minutes later - yet the outcome remained the same.

On 22 minutes Morecambe doubled their advantage as Garry Thompson seized on a defensive lapse, before calmly slotting the ball past the advancing O'Hara and into an empty net.

Once again, the visitors showed no sign of giving the fight up and three minutes later Durrell showed a deft turn of pace, before seeing his powerful drive sail over the Morecambe bar from the edge of the area.

The Silkmen were then reduced to ten men, after a late Marsh tackle elicited consternation from the Morecambe contingent - yet despite the numerical disadvantage, Macc looked to reduce the arrears before the half time interval.

Eight minutes before the break, Durrell once again proved to be the orchestrator of our offensive threat as he stormed through the Morecambe ranks. With the penalty area in sight, he unleashed a thunderbolt at goal which flew agonisingly wide of the right hand upright.

Ryan Lloyd also looked to be a potent threat throughout the first period, as he sprayed the ball around the field with confidence and conviction. Yet as the half time whistle blew, Macc knew that they had much to do if a comeback was to be staged.

The second half began with the visitors largely in the ascendancy, yet the pendulum was to swing in Morecambe's favour once more on 49 minutes when trialist Adam Mitchell was dismissed for a professional foul - reducing Macc to nine men.

Despite this, Macc showed clear signs of fight and defiance as they looked to salvage something from the game - irrelevant of how much the odds were now stacked against them.

James Pearson, Sean McAllister and Miles Welch-Hayes all had opportunities to halve the arrears, before Dylon Allan-Meredith's low drive from the edge of the area took an almighty deflection to seal Morecambe's win.

Macclesfield Town: O'Hara (Simpson '45), Grimes, Durrell (Mohammed '60), Marsh, Bonet, Lloyd (McAllister '45), Blissett, Welch-Hayes, Mitchell, Pearson, Arthur.

Subs not used: Nolan, Jordan

Advertisement block