Skip to main content Skip to site footer

The Complete History Of Our Trips To Maidstone

7 November 2018

Macclesfield Town have made the long journey to face Maidstone United on four previous occasions and ahead of Saturday afternoon's Emirates FA Cup First Round tie, we take a look back at each of these.

Our first trip down to Kent was in April 1988, when Peter Wragg took his Vauxhall Conference newcomers to face a side who we keen to avenge their opening day defeat at the Moss Rose.

They duly did that by securing a 2 – 0 victory that afternoon, sending the loyal Silkmen fans back on the long trek home with nothing to show for their efforts.

Wragg was back the following January however and saw his side play their part in an entertaining three all draw.

The hosts took the lead during the early exchanges, but shortly after parity was restored when a free kick from the left finally broke to John Askey and he prodded the ball home.

After falling 2 – 1 behind, Macc got back on level terms once again during an epic first half of Vauxhall Conference football.

A long ball was pumped into the box which initially got held up in the muddy terrain, before Askey unleashed Phil Derbyshire, who fired across the face of goal and into the far corner.

The Silkmen then claimed a share of the spoils in the second half, when Mike Lake’s teasing cross from the right was spectacularly headed home by a diving Askey at the far post.

Macc would not make the journey down to Maidstone again until October 2016, in a game which saw The Stones record their first win in six games – despite going behind to a Chris Holroyd strike after eight minutes.

Liam Enver-Marum equalised for the hosts after 16 minutes, yet Macc passed up the perfect opportunity to regain the lead when Danny Whitaker’s penalty was saved by Lee Worgan.

Substitute Yemi Odubade sealed the victory for the home side with just a minute left on the clock, as he fired home a cross from the right to give Craig Ross no chance.

Our last trip to The Gallagher Stadium was back in March, when The Silkmen opened up a three point lead at the top of the National League after claiming a point in a two all draw.

Alex Wynter opened the scoring for the hosts after 19 minutes, yet Danny Whitaker was to draw John Askey's side level with a close range strike during the opening exchanges of the second period.

Macc begin to dominate proceedings and deservedly took the lead with fifteen minutes left on the clock, as Elliott Durrell cut inside from the right before nonchalantly placing the ball in the top corner with the outside of his boot.

The hosts rallied and claimed a share of the spoils when Ross Lafayette emphatically fired home with seven minutes to go.

Advertisement block