Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 July 2018

Macclesfield Town have made the short journey up the A6 to face Stockport County on a whole host of occasions over the years and as we look forward to Saturday's pre-season finale, we take a look back at one of the most entertaining encounters of them all.

The Silkmen travelled to Edgeley Park in September 2012 buoyed with a raucous away following - all of whom were eagerly anticipating a feisty midweek derby game.

Prior to the match kicking off, the visiting contingent proudly welcomed their heroes out onto the pitch and united behind them for the battle ahead.

Despite the passionate support from the Silkmen faithful, it was the home side who started the match in the ascendency.

Danny Hattersley proved to be the main threat during the opening exchanges, as he warmed the gloves of Lance Cronin on three separate occasions within the first ten minutes.

On 23 minutes Hattersley got his reward when he latched onto a pinpoint Alex Kenyon cross, before clinically heading the ball into the far corner of the net.

Although their team were behind, the Silkmen following reacted to the goal in defiance and they urged the team forward with renewed vigour.

They were rewarded just four minutes later, when Chris Holroyd restored parity for Steve King's side after innovative build-up play from Matthew Barnes-Homer and Kieran Murtagh.

Our jubilation at being back on level terms was to be short-lived however, as future Silkman Danny Whitehead rifled in an unstoppable drive from twenty five yards out to send the hosts back into the lead.

It is commonly thought that lightening never strikes twice - yet as the light began to fade Macc took our breaths away once more.

A blistering Silkmen move culminated in the ball falling at the feet of Chris Holroyd and he made no mistake in slamming home our second dramatic equaliser.

The pendulum then began to swing in favour of the visitors  with Barnes-Homer and Murtagh both coming agonisingly close to sending Macc into the half-time interval ahead.

The second period began in much the same vein as the first had ended - with Macc laying siege to the Stockport goal at every possible opportunity.

On 51 minutes Holroyd sent the travelling contingent into a state of delirium, as he converted Barnes-Homer's assist from close range to fire The Silkmen into the lead for the first time.

King's men would be made to suffer a taste of their own medicine shortly after however, as Cronin misjudged a cross from the right and Danny O'Donnell gratefully bundled the ball home.

Having already played out a six goal thriller, both sides frantically went in search of a spectacular late winner.

The visitors gallantly repelled everything Stockport could thrown at them and secured a glorious victory eight minutes from time, as James Tunnicliffe inadvertently sent an innocuous looking cross into the back of his own net to send the travelling army wild.

Macclesfield Town: Cronin, Braham-Barrett, Brown, Charnock, Winn, Mackreth (Morgan-Smith 73), Murtagh, Mendy (Diagne 33), Kissock, Holroyd (McNamee 79), Barnes-Homer

Advertisement block