Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Newcastle United U21s 1 - 1 Macclesfield Town - Newcastle United U21s Win 5 - 3 On Penalties

4 December 2018

Macclesfield fell to a penalty shootout defeat against Newcastle United U21s in the Checkatrade Trophy second round at St. James' Park, in Sol Campbell's first match in charge.

The Silkmen had the best of the play throughout the game and were unfortunate to find themselves behind for much of the match.

Macc forced penalties through a late Scott Wilson goal before Ben Stephens saw his penalty saved and the Silkmen fell to defeat in the shootout.

Macclesfield came closest to opening the scoring early on when Pearson came close from a corner; but he saw his header cleared off the line before Evans saw his resulting effort fly wide after good early pressure from the Silkmen.

After a tight opening twenty minutes in which Macc had created the only chances, the hosts took the lead through Sorensen who flicked a deflected cross into the corner and just out of the reach of O’Hara in the Macc goal.

Roberts almost doubled the hosts’ lead a couple of minutes later after beating a couple of Macc defenders, but he shot straight at O’Hara.

The Silkmen looked to respond quickly through Wilson, but his hesitation allowed the Newcastle defence to block his effort before Keith Lowe headed the ball over the bar from the resulting corner.

Koby Arthur then received the ball in space after good work from Nathan Blissett who beat two Newcastle defenders, but Arthur’s shot from 25 yards was straight at Harker in the Magpies net.

Macc had one more chance before the interval when Scott Wilson was played clean through on goal, but he could not beat Harker.

The Silkmen continued to create the best of the chances as the second half began with Koby Arthur again trying his luck from distance, but his effort flew into the stand behind the Newcastle goal.

Blissett was next to try his luck but his effort was tipped wide by Harker.

Keith Lowe then came close for the Silkmen moments later when he connected with a corner which looked destined to find the back of the net, but the Newcastle defence threw bodies in the way and managed to deflect the ball behind once again.

Macc finally got the equaliser their play deserved when Scott Wilson lifted the ball over Harker after being played through by substitute Ben Stephens.

But Stephens ultimately saw his spot-kick saved by Harker and the Silkmen bowed out of the competition.

Advertisement block