Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Played For Both: Newcastle United

3 December 2018

Not many players have turned out for both The Magpies and The Silkmen over the years, but ahead of our trip to St James’s Park on tomorrow night, we take a look at who they were...

Mark Boyd

Mark started his career in the Youth Team at Newcastle United - joining them in 2000. 

Staying with The Magpies for two years, he signed his first professional contract with Port Vale in 2002. Unfortunately a broken ankle hampered his First Team opportunities at Vale Park and he moved on - first to Carlisle then to Gretna.

It was while with Gretna that Mark came to Macclesfield on loan. He spent the second half of the 2004/05 season on loan with The Silkmen, making only a handful of appearances in the centre of midfield.

Following his time at the Moss, Mark has played for a number of clubs - mainly in the North West. An occasional commentator for BBC Radio Cumbria, he is currently Assistant Manager at Shildon AFC in County Durham.


Jon Brain

Jon is another player who started out his playing days with Newcastle United. Having spent a year with Carlisle as a youth player, he signed for Newcastle in 1999 but never made an appearance for them. Moving on in 2002, he went back to Carlisle for a short time before signing for Port Vale in 2003.

Jon was to have more chances at regular games at Vale, with just under sixty appearances over his three seasons there. Former Vale boss Brian Horton had taken up the managerial position at Macclesfield, and Jon was to follow him to the Moss in July 2006.

125 appearances over four season followed for Jon at the Moss, although he suffered a tough start to his Silkmen career after the infamous broken leg at Stockport after just nine games. 

Leaving The Silkmen in 2010, he joined Walsall in League One. Losing his place to club legend Jimmy Walker, Jon has since dropped down into non-league with spells at Nantwich Town and Stafford Rangers.


George Heslop

Newcastle and Macclesfield formed the bookends of George’s seventeen year career in the 1960’s and 1970’s. 

He started out at St James’s Park in 1960 and made 27 appearances over two seasons. Moving to Everton for a short time, he then joined Manchester City for £20,000 in 1965 and made almost 200 appearances over a seven year period. 

An integral member of the team who won Divisions Two and One, the League Cup and the European Cup Winners Cup, George’s time at City ended with a eight month loan spell with Cape Town City in South Africa.

Returning to the UK in the summer in 1972, he signed for Bury with whom he made 37 appearances. Signing for Macclesfield in 1977 he made just three appearances before deciding to hang up his boots. 

After retirement George spent some time managing various pubs in the Manchester area, as well as short spells in football management. 

He passed away in September 2006 after a short illness.


Joe Rogers

Joe was a talented player at the turn of the twentieth century, who could play either up front or at the back. 

He started his career in 1893 with Macclesfield, his home town club, after a short spell with Stoke United as a youth player. First choice centre-forward for the 1894/95 season, Joe caught the eye of Southampton and a move to the south coast followed in December 1894.

Joe moved to play at full-back after encouragement from the Southampton coaches, but failed to settle and moved to Grimsby Town in May 1896. 

23 goals in 53 league appearances for The Mariners led to another move - this time to Newcastle United.

Whilst at Newcastle Joe was selected to join an FA tour of Germany, where he scored five goals in one of the three games he appeared in. Although these games do not officially count as internationals, Joe was the first ever Newcastle player to appear for England.

Joe left Newcastle in 1901, moving to first Preston North End and then to Walsall before retiring from football.

Coaching roles in Germany and at Grimsby followed before Joe passed away in 1955.


Dick Young

An experienced forward, Dick started his footballing career in the North East, joining Newcastle in 1957. 

Although he remained at St James’s Park for four years, he doesn’t seem to have made an appearance for The Magpies. Spells in the army as well as with Grimsby, Stockport and Ellesmere Port Town followed before he signed for the Silkmen in 1967.

Dick was Macclesfield’s top scorer in both 1968/69 and 1969/70, finding the net 29 times in each season. He experienced notable success as a Silkman, with honours including the Northern Premier League (twice), FA Trophy and the Cheshire Senior Cup.

Leaving Macc in 1971 it is unfortunately not known whether Dick continued to play football or retired from the game. 

He sadly passed away in 1988, aged just 49 years old.

Honourable mentions: Frank Atkinson, Jimmy Naylor, Freddy Smallwood, John ‘Jack’ Smith, Jim Storey.

Advertisement block