Skip to main content Skip to site footer

PROJECT 21 Match Report: Davenham U18s 2 v 2 Macclesfield Town U18s

2 December 2018

Macclesfield Town Under 18s suffered late heartbreak this afternoon, as Davenham fought back to secure a two-all draw at Moss Farm.

The Silkmen youngsters boasted a perfect Mid Cheshire Division One record going into the fixture and took the lead with just 8 minutes on the clock, as Jake Hall stormed through the home defence before firing across the face of goal and into the far corner of the net.

The contest then proved to be a war of attrition, with Dan Dolling and Colin Midgley valiantly repelling everything that Davenham could throw that them with confidence and authority.

The visitors could well have doubled their lead on the half hour mark, as Sam Jordan found Freddie Sass in space, yet his powerful drive rattled the top of the Davenham crossbar.

Two minutes later parity was restored when Luke Turner latched onto a long ball upfield, before expertly taking the ball over Ben Parkinson and into an empty net.

It was no more than the hosts deserved and the equaliser catalysed them into looking for a second goal prior to the interval. 

Wave after wave of Davenham pressure was nullified by the Macc defence, as they fought with everything they had to preserve the one-all scoreline. This was exemplified four minutes before the break, when Turner took the ball around Parkinson and fired towards an open goal - only for Dolling to clear off the line after he had made an incredible amount of ground up to make what was undoubtedly an heroic interception.

The second period began at a frantic pace, with both sides looking to gain the ascendancy as quickly as possible.

On 53 minutes Shaun Holden was unlucky to see his goal-bound effort cleared off the line after the Davenham 'keeper had spilled a corner from the left and three minutes later Turner could well have put the hosts into the lead - yet his twenty yard effort sailed over Parkinson's bar.

James Madeira then forced Liam Wilson into a smart save, as he tipped a ferocious attempt from the left over the bar and on 71 minutes Madeira was denied once more as his close-range header cannoned off the outside of the near post.

With four minutes left on the clock Jordan unleashed a teasing cross into the Davenham penalty area and Freddie Sass was unlucky to see his bullet header fly agonisingly wide of the far post upright.

Just when you thought that the match was destined to end as a one-all draw, Wilson tipped a fizzing shot onto the left hand post and there was Madeira to fire home from close range to send the travelling contingent into delirium.

Yet there was to be another twist in the tale during injury time, as a corner from the right elicited a goalmouth scramble of epic proportions and when the ball broke, Alex Murphy struck Davenham's second equaliser which proved to be terminal.

Davenham unquestionably deserved a share of the spoils, after a tenacious and hard-working performance which proved to be our toughest challenge to date. 

Jim Hall's side will be hoping to get back to winning ways next Sunday, as they lock horns with Winsford United.

Advertisement block