Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Silkmen Heroics Preserve Proud Record

15 August 2018

Seconds after Tyrone Marsh put away our winning spot kick last night, we took to our social media channels to proudly inform all our followers that Macclesfield Town had retained our record of never having been beat in a penalty shoot out - ever.


This elicited much attention and as a result, we thought it would be good to have a quick look back at all of our previous penalty dramas.


The run started way back in 1992, as Peter Wragg's Silkmen side advanced to the Second Round of the FA Cup with a 3 - 2 victory over Chesterfield.


Steve Farrelly was the hero that evening, as he made some remarkable saves to ensure that The Silkmen became the first non-league side to defeat a Football League side on penalties in the historic competition.


Prior to last night, there had only been one competitive shootout at the Moss Rose and that came back in 1997, as Sammy McIlroy's side reached the Final of the Staffordshire Senior Cup with a 5 - 4 victory over Hednesford Town.


Sammy's heart was racing the following year, as Macc took part in an epic FA Cup First Round shootout against The Rebels of Slough Town.


The Silkmen ultimately secured a 9 - 8 victory, to extend our penalty shootout run to three consecutive wins.


This was to become four in dramatic style back in 2001, as David Moss' side advanced through to the FA Cup Second Round after an historic battle.


Broadcast to the nation on Match of the Day just after it's conclusion, Macc secured a home tie with Swansea City on the back of a pulsating 11 - 10 victory.


Two years later heroics were performed once more as Macc knocked Cambridge United out of the FA Cup via the dreaded shootout.


Steve Wilson had already saved two Cambridge penalties during the original tie at the Moss Rose and was on fine form during the replay as he helped to secure a 4 - 2 shootout win.


Our sixth victory came in 2010 when an incredibly loyal Silkmen following made the gargantuan trek down to Southend United for an FA Cup First Round Replay.


The two sides could not be separated in normal play, yet Macc would progress thanks to a 5 - 3 shootout win.


Then of course, there was last night's dramatic victory over Bradford as Macc returned to the League Cup after a six year absence.


A string of fine saves from Rhys Taylor helped Mark Yates' side secure a place in the Second Round of the competition - the draw for which will be held at 7pm on Thursday evening.

Advertisement block