2017/18 Season Review - December

Macclesfield Town
Posted:Thu 31 May 2018

In December, supporters across the National League were getting a good idea into what their teams could achieve in the campaign.

The Silkmen entered the festive period in third place, behind Wrexham and Sutton United and five games in the month would see John Askey’s men take on both of those title rivals.

The month started with a trip to the north-east to face Hartlepool United and Macc left it late to take all three points. Michael Woods gave the hosts the lead in the first-half, but a sensational comeback was started and completed in the last five minutes.

On 85 minutes Ryan Lloyd connected perfectly with Elliott Durrell’s cross to level the scores and he was involved again five minutes later when his header bounced back off the crossbar and Keith Lowe reacted first to nod the ball into the net and give Macc all three points.

That result kept Macc in touch of top spot and breathing down the necks of Wrexham, who were the next team to visit the Moss Rose in what turned out to be one of the games of the season, in front of the BT Sport cameras.

Scott Wilson got Macc off to the best possible starts when he latched on to a brilliant ball by Tyrone Marsh to give Askey’s men the lead.

Wrexham hit back in the second half when Scott Boden headed home an equaliser on 74 minutes. However, this didn’t affect the Silkmen in the slightest. Just four minutes after Wrexham’s goal, Scott Wilson restored the lead and he put the game beyond doubt and completed his hat-trick on 82 minutes when he pounced on a mistake by the Wrexham goalkeeper to make it 3-1.

There was still time for a fourth in the last minute of the game as well as David Fitzpatrick scored his first goal in a Macclesfield shirt to complete the romp and send Macc back to the summit.

In the next game, Ryan Lloyd carried on his terrific form with another goal away at Bromley. However, Macc couldn’t keep their lead as they dropped points for the only time in the month with a 1-1 draw.

As the month ticked by, Macc carried on winning. This time a Boxing Day triumph over FC Halifax Town further cemented the team’s place at the top.

Although, the players had to do it the hard way after Tom Denton gave the visitor’s the lead after 11 minutes. However, goals from Danny Whitehead and Tyrone Marsh made sure the Silkmen faithful received a late Christmas present in the form of a 2-1 win.

The last game of the month saw Sutton United visit Moss Rose in yet another top of the table clash and yet again it was a memorable contest. Danny Whitaker gave Macc the lead after 10 minutes after Jamie Collins was deemed to have fouled the veteran in the box.

Things got tougher for the Silkmen in this matchup. Shwan Jalal was given his marching orders just after the hour mark for fouling Ross Lafayette but Macclesfield held on for three points and extended their lead at the top of the table to a whopping six points.

As we tiptoed ever closer to the business end of the season, Macclesfield were the team to beat in the National League.

By Andrew Gate

arrow-45degchevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up cross facebook instagramletter linked-in logo-social-youtubemap-marker minusplay-solidplay plus quote-mark skype tripadvisor twitter whatsapp youtube