Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 at 06:05 AM


A late goal denied Macclesfield Town a place in the Quarter-Final of the FA Trophy and earned Torquay United a replay after a thrilling FA Trophy tie.

The Silkmen thought they had set up a meeting at Bognor Regis Town after Kristian Dennis gave John Askey's side a lead in the final 15 minutes, but the home side equalised soon after to set up a replay that will take place next Tuesday at the Moss.

Macclesfield had trailed 1-0 at the break but quickly levelled through Jack Sampson in the second-half. Torquay soon restored their advantage before goals from Neill Byrne and Dennis put the Silkmen ahead only for the late equaliser.

Boss Askey brought in forward Reece Styche for the gameĀ  but it was Dennis who had the first chance of the game after mix-up in the Torquay defence, but his effort was easily dealt with by Dan Lavercombe in the Torquay goal. Moments later Paul Turnbull fired over from distance.

Byrne headed wide from a corner as Macclesfield continued to impress before Styche forced another good save from Lavercombe.

Despite their excellent start it was Torquay who took the lead on 32 minutes. Durrell Berry launched a ball into the box that found Josh Rees and the on-loan Nottingham Forest midfielder squeezed a shot under the goalkeeper Shwan Jalal's body.

Dennis had two chances to reply for Macc before half-time but it only took the Silkmen five minutes to level after the break. Andy Halls got to the bye-line and his cross was easily converted from close range.

The parity lasted just four minutes as Dan Butlers wind-assisted cross drifted over the back-tracking Jalal and dropped in to the goal.

But once again Macclesfield showed their desire and levelled shortly after as Danny Rowe's shot was turned in by Neill Byrne to make it 2-2.

Dennis then forced another fantastic save from Lavercombe but he wasn't to be denied soon after. Torquay lost the ball in their own box and Dennis was on-hand to pounce and give Macclesfield the lead for the first time.

But this tie wasn't over as Iffy Allen levelled for the home side. He shifted the ball to his right-foot before curling an effort around the Macclesfield defence and in to the goal.

The topsy-turvy tie was then played out in more end-to-end fashion in the closing stages but the game eventually ended 3-3 meaning we go again next week to decide who will face Bognor Regis Town in the Quarter-Final of the competition.

Ticket news for the replay can be found here.

Macclesfield: Jalal, Halls, Byrne, Turnbull, Sampson, Rowe, Dennis (Holroyd), Diagne, Fitzpatrick, Whitaker, Styche (Turner)

Subs Not Used: Branagan, Cowan, Pilkington

    Latest Match Reports