Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 07:57 AM

Unbeaten run extends for Macc

Macclesfield extended their recent unbeaten form to four games in the National League, after coming away from Holker Street with a point.

The Silkmen had taken the lead early on after threatening from the off and it was Danny Whitehead who was on the end of a Danny Rowe pass.

However, Barrow equalised from the penalty spot just before half-time with a Jason Walker penalty.

It was a quiet start to the game, as both teams, who came into the game in good form, looked to make their mark on the game.

The hosts had the first real chance of the game, as a cross into the box by Richie Sutton and he found the head of top scorer Andy Cook, but the striker was unable to make a save out of Ritchie Branagan, who came in for Shwan Jalal.

A few moments later in the 18th minute, there was a succession of chances for Macc as Reece Styche had an effort deflected and then the ball came back into the box and it was John McCombe who was on the end of the cross and he headed off the bar.

Macc continued to push Barrow and were rewarded in the 24th minute when Danny Whitehead opened the scoring after coming on the end of a Rowe pass, to put the Silkmen 1-0 up.

The chances carried on coming the way of John Askey’s side and Styche had an effort go just wide as did Danny Whitaker a few minutes after.

However, it was a tale of two set-pieces for Barrow, firstly Andy Haworth had a free-kick hit the post and then just a few minutes later, a penalty was awarded to the hosts.

Barrow gave the responsibility to Jason Walker and the striker scored from the spot to put the sides level at 1-1.

The Silkmen looked to get back in the lead immediately and it was Danny Rowe who got himself involved either side of half time, with a chance before the whistle and after the restart, but he was unable to steer his efforts on target.

In the 51st minute, Barrow forced a good save out of Branagan after a shot from Jordan Williams from outside the box.

It was a quiet start to the second-half from then on and chances became to fall few and far between until around the 65th minute, when Macc began to get a hold of the game.

Firstly, a Holroyd effort was deflected wide and then two Whitehead chances on the edge of the box threatened the Barrow goal, but was unable to put Macc in the lead.

Barrow tried their luck after getting through a wave of Macclesfield chances, as top scorer Cook almost headed the home side in the lead, but it went narrowly wide.

Danny Whitehead was at the front of almost every Silkmen attack and was again at the head of another move, which he had the resulting shot, but Dixon made the save.

The Silkmen continued to push but were unable to get the goal to earn all three points and the game finish 1-1.


Barrow: Dixon, Sutton (Symington), Wilmer-Anderton, Livesey, Grand, Harvey, Parry, Haworth (Pilkington), Walker (Tomlinson), Cook, Williams

Subs: Abbott, Pilkington, Tomlinson, Fofana, Symington

Macclesfield: Branagan, Halls, McCombe, Pilkington, Fitzpatrick, Whitaker (Turnbull), Whitehead, Holroyd, Rowe, Sampson, Styche (Dennis)

Subs: Byrne, Turnbull, Dennis, Diagne, Sutherland

    Latest Match Reports