Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 07:55 AM

Draw on the road for Macc

Macclesfield Town shared the points with Boreham Wood at Meadow Park today in a well contested 0-0 draw.

The Silkmen came into the game on the back of two draws against Lincoln City and Altrincham, whilst Boreham Wood had suffered a 1-0 loss to Wrexham after a goalless draw to Barrow.

Macc had the best chances of the game, but they were unable to make it count when they worked themselves into good positions. 

The home side were looking to use Junior Morias’ physical presence to start off their attacks, however George Pilkington and John McCombe looked steady in defence and were able to nullify the forward.

There wasn’t much to split the teams in the opening 15 minutes of the game, Chris Holroyd was looking dangerous down the right hand side, the winger picked out Kristian Dennis at the back post, but the striker could only find the side netting with his shot.

The Wood were looking to get Morias into the game, he won the ball on the edge of box, but in close quarters he could only lash a shot over the bar.

Dennis and Holroyd then linked up for one of the best opportunities of the first half, the striker laid the ball into Holroyd’s path who then unleased a shot from the edge of the area, but James Russell was sharp enough to get down and push the ball past the post.

Macc were enjoying a lot of success down the right hand side, Andy Halls delivered a fantastic ball to Jack Sampson on the half hour mark, but somehow it evaded everyone and it went all the way through for a goal kick. 

Just a few minutes later and it was Dennis who came close again, he cushioned the ball down with his chest and caught a sweetly struck volley that looked to be heading for the top left hand corner, however Russell was alert enough to hang onto it.

The action livened up at the start of the second half as Boreham Wood looked to press forward, a corner was whipped into the back post but Clovis Kamdjo couldn’t direct it towards goal.

Macclesfield then saw one of the best chances of the game go begging, Danny Whitaker was in acres of space on the left, he found Dennis making a surging run into the box, the forward managed to get a shot off with his left foot but he saw it fly inches wide of the far post.

The home side then wasted their best chance of the game with just over an hour gone, Morias won the ball in the air and knocked it down to Harry White who somehow managed to put the ball high and wide from just yards away.

As the action fizzled out and both sides looked to regain dominance, Macc made a few changes as Danny Rowe replaced Whitaker and Sampson made way for Reece Styche, 

Styche was involved immediately and he came close to breaking the deadlock after Halls picked him out with a perfectly weighted ball through. Styche got his shot away but Russell was out quickly to save with his feet.

Boreham Wood held strong going into the dying minutes of the game, Dennis and Danny Whitehead saw a couple of half chances go wide of the mark and the game ended with both defences in tact. 

Following the 0-0 draw, Macc maintained their position in 12th, whilst Boreham Wood dropped into the relegation zone after wins for Torquay and Altrincham.

Macclesfield Town: Jalal, Halls, Pilkington, McCombe, Fitzpatrick, Whitaker (Rowe 65), Turnbull, Whitehead (Cowan 88), Holroyd, Dennis, Sampson (Styche 75)

Subs not used: Branagan, Byrne

Boreham Wood: Russell, Nunn, Woodards, Doe, Reynolds, Howell (Shakes 84), Clifford, Morias (Haynes 69), White, Kamdjo, Devera

Subs not used: Sam-Yorke, Connors, Stephens

    Latest Match Reports