Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 07:54 AM

Entertaining 0-0 at the Moss

Macclesfield Town and Wrexham played out a goalless draw at the Moss Rose in the Vanarama National League Game in the battle between the two sides in the top half of the table.

The Silkmen created the opportunities but were unable to take their chances, but the point helped aid the push for the play-offs as Macc put an end to their recent run of defeats.

It was a quiet opening to the game, with both sides looking to get in control of the game but neither being able to impose themselves and get the ball down.

However, it was the Silkmen who seemed to gain control and began to try and carve an opportunity to break the deadlock and the first chance fell to Jack Sampson, who’s header was never really troubling Rhys Taylor in the Wrexham goal.

Macc continued to push and this time it was the turn of Danny Whitaker as the midfielder got himself on the end of a Danny Whitehead cross, but he couldn’t steer his shot on target.

It was then the turn of the visitors to try their luck and it was defender Sean Newton who was in charge of free-kick duty, but the left-back fired over.

A big chance then fell to Macclesfield and after a fantastic run down the left-hand side from David Fitzpatrick, he played the ball across the box and found Sampson, but the strikers shot just went wide.

It was then the turn of the returning Danny Whitehead to get a shot away from the edge of the box, but his effort went over the bar.

The Dragons then nearly opened the scoring in the 27th minute through Kayden Jackson who found himself one on one with Shwan Jalal, but the striker saw his effort hit the post and Macc were able to clear.

Another Whitehead shot followed in the 34th minute, but again he fired over, just before Chris Holroyd tried his luck and stung the palms of Taylor, after cutting in from the right-hand side, but Wrexham were able to clear following the save just before half time.

Following the re-start, Macc almost opened the scoring and it was top scorer Kristian Dennis, wo let rip from just inside the 18-yard box but Taylor saves to deny Dennis.

At the other end a corner into the box caused trouble in the Silkmen goal with everyone trying to gets something on the ball and eventually Macc are able to clear to prevent the Dragons taking the lead.

It was a quiet second half following the opening exchanges of the half, with neither side able to create an opportunity to have a shot on goal until the 72nd minute.

Kristian Dennis made some room for himself after collecting Whitehead’s pass and got a shot away but it was blocked by the body of a diving Wrexham defender.

In the 78th minute, a cross into the Dragons box was punched away by Taylor, but the ball fell straight to Holroyd who was quick to get his shot away, but the ball just skimmed the top of the bar and went over.

Macclesfield introduced new signing Jimmy Phillips, in the 82nd minute when the midfielder came on for striker Jack Sampson.

The fourth official indicated a minimum of four minutes to be added on and both sides almost snatched a winner, with Wrexham battled in a goal mouth scramble and Macc through a Kristian Dennis free-kick which was cleared.

Macclesfield: Jalal, Halls, Byrne (Diagne 77), Pilkington, Turnbull, Holroyd, Sampson (Phillips 82), Dennis, Whitehead (Styche 85), Fitzpatrick, Whitaker

Subs: Branagan, Diagne, Styche, Sutherland, Phillips


Wrexham: Taylor, Newton, Smith, Hudson, Fowler (York 81), Jennings, Carrington, Jackson, Evans, Heslop, Beck (York 77)

Subs: Moke, York, O’Reilly, Briscoe, Smith


Attendance 2,406 (1,089 visitors)


    Latest Match Reports