Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 07:49 AM

Rampant Macc Secure Away Win

Macclesfield went home claiming all the spoils thanks to a stunning hat-trick from Kristian Dennis complimented by goals from Danny Whitehead and Neill Byrne to complete the rout.

The first chance of the game fell to Paul Lewis in the opening few exchanges as he found himself in acres of space to let fly from distance but he failed to test goalkeeper, Jake Cole.

However, Macc’s early dominance got it’s just rewards as Danny Whitehead broke the deadlock with a fizzing drive from 20 yards. There was some great work from Chris Holroyd down the right channel as he drove down the line before finding Dennis six yards out but Cole stopped his shot with his legs. The clearance only went as far as Paul Turnbull but his effort was also blocked before the ball found Whitehead on the edge of the area to strike home.

At 1-0, Byrne made a terrific diving header to deny Woking an equaliser against the run of play. Daniel Holman managed to dig out a cross from the right touchline which looked destined for Adam Cunnington’s head but for Byrne’s goal-saving header to put the ball behind for a corner.

In what was beginning to look more and more like a one-sided affair, the Silkmen showed no mercy to double their lead in the 26th minute as Lewis’ glancing header found Dennis inside the Woking half. The talisman ran at the Woking defence before unleashing a venomous 25-yard effort to beat Cole at his near post.

Macc went into half-time with their clean sheet intact thanks to a superb stop from Shwan Jalal from John Goddard’s free-kick in added time. The Woking top goal scorer’s dipping effort looked for all the world it was going to nestle in the net but Jalal dived impressively to deny the effort and hold on to the ball.

Straight up the other end the Silkmen broke with Whitehead leading the charge on the Woking goal. Following a strong run down the right-hand side, he picked out Lewis but Cole pulled off a world-class reaction save to deny Lewis from netting Macc’s third.

However, shortly after the restart the Silkmen did eventually get their third. In only his second start since returning from injury, Byrne flicked the ball home from inside the six-yard box after Tony Diagne’s intended shot turned out to be a perfectly squared ball for his centre-half partner to finish.

Despite Byrne clearing substitute Daniel Kadell’s shot off the line, it was Macc looking the more dangerous going forward and just after the hour mark, Dennis had his brace. As the Woking defence stood still like statues, Dennis did not hesitate to pounce on a through pass by Whitehead to slide the ball under the keeper.

Woking did respond with a goal in the 74th minute though as Jimmy Keohane buried his chance at the second time of asking even though Jalal did well to block his original effort.

Notwithstanding, the goal did not upset the Silkmen’s rhythm and Dennis had his hat-trick as the game moved into the final ten minutes. Dennis picked up the ball some way out and he took a touch to get the ball out his feet before firing home to ensure he went home with the match ball.

With the game nearing its conclusion, Woking did get a consolation goal for their efforts as Joey Jones poked home from close range. Nonetheless, it was to be Macc’s day as they ran home convincing winners at the Kingfield Stadium enabling the travelling faithful to leave Surrey delighted with their team’s performance.

Woking FC:

Cole; Arthur, Saah, Jones, Goddard, Robinson (Andrade- 65’), Holman, Thomas (Caprice- 65’), Keohane, Cunnington (Kadell- 46’), Norman

Unused substitutes: Hamman (GK), Ricketts

Macclesfield Town FC:

Jalal; Cowan, Byrne, Diagne, Fitzpatrick; Lewis (Rowe- 76’), Turnbull; Holroyd, Whitehead (Sampson- 81’), Whitaker; Dennis (Styche- 81’)

Unused substitutes: Branagan (GK), Pilkington

    Latest Match Reports