Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 at 07:47 AM

Silkmen Make It Four Unbeaten With Win

John Askey's side outclass Harriers to record fourth successive game unbeaten

Macclesfield Town extended their unbeaten run to four league games after a solid 2-1 victory against Kidderminster Harriers at Moss Rose. 

First half close range strikes from Tony Diagne and Danny Rowe saw Macc enter the break at 2-0 after an excellent first-half display by the Silkmen. 

A late goal by visitors forward Jordan Murphy gave the home fans a scare but resilient defending saw Macc hold on for a much deserved victory to see them rise the National League table. 

The Silkmen dominated possession from early on and the first chance fell to Paul Turnbull, after Danny Whitaker found him on the edge of the area, Turnbull’s finish fell just wide of the post after just seven minutes. 

Macc came close again minutes later after seeing the majority of the ball in the first half, Chris Holroyd was initially denied by goalkeeper Dean Snedker before Danny Whitaker had a chance to open the scoring but his shot deflected wide for a corner. 

As the hosts push to make a breakthrough it finally came 31 minutes in, Diagne hit a shot from Paul Turnbull’s corner, but it was cleared by a handball of the line, however with advantage played Diagne made no mistake in tucking away the rebound to make it 1-0 to Macclesfield. 

More dominant spells forced visitor goalkeeper Snedker into some more fine saves, 38 minutes in a shot from the edge of the area was tipped wide for a corner, the ball fell kindly to Rowe who drilled it into the far corner doubling Macc’s lead to 2-0 to put them in a comfortable position at the half-time whistle. 

Kidderminster played a more attacking approach in the second half and 51 minutes in a promising counter-attack was shut down as Andy Hall’s made the necessary move to break up play by pulling back Reece Styche, he earned a yellow card for the decision. 

Minutes later Shwan Jalal came to the Silkmen’s rescue, another quick break by the visitors saw Jordan Murphy through on goal but quick reflexes by Jalal ensured the Silkmen held their two-goal lead. 

As Macc searched for a third goal Danny Whitehead went on a storming run through the middle of the pitch, but his edge of the area curling effort couldn’t beat Snedker at his far post.    

The visitors did manage to pull a goal back 77 minutes in, following a corner Jordan Murphy swept home from close range to give Harriers a glimpse of hope. 

Kristian Dennis came on for the hosts in the late stages of the game and nearly found his 10th goal of the season however his effort fell inches wide of the near post seeing the game end 2-1 to Macclesfield. 

Macclesfield: Jalal, Halls, pilkington, Diagne, Fitzpatrick, Whitehead, Whitaker, Turnbull, Holroyd, Rowe (Dennis 85), Sampson (Meikle 88) 

Subs not used: Branagan, Cowan, Adarabioyo 

Kidderminster: Snedker, Hodgkiss, langmead, Francis-Angol, Tunnicliffe, Toner (Rowe-Turner 63), Jones (Verma 27), Maxwell (Hassan 72), Clarke, Styche, Murphy 

Subs not used: Palmer, Wright 

Attendance: 1,653

    Latest Match Reports