Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:08 PM

Grimsby 0-1 Macclesfield

Matthew Barnes Homer netted from the spot in the 83rd minute as the Silkmen were 1-0 winners against Grimsby.

The home side had forced Lance Cronin into a string of saves, but the visitors held on against a Grimsby side reduced to ten men with two minutes remaining.

The Silkmen could, and probably should have been a goal up after less than a minute when Matthew Barnes-Homer burst into the box and was taken out by a home defender. It looked to be a clear penalty, but was waved away.

Insult was then nearly added to injury as the home side broke and Shaun Pearson met a Bradley wood ball with a shot that Cronin did well to save.

The Silkmen's next opportunity was for Carl Martin after Morgan-Smith had been fouled by Pond. The dead-ball was taken by Murtagh, but the former Crewe defender couldn't quite steer his header on target.

Cronin was the busier of the two 'keepers overall and he was in the right place at the right time to make a comfortable stop from Ross Hannah, but the second half of the first 45 was light on chances with a bloked shot from Barnes-Homer and a long range effort from Colbeck the only opportunities until the final five minutes of the half when Pearson should have done better with a close range header that went over the bar.

The second half saw far more incident and it was Cronin again in action first as he gathered a speculative Colbeck shot and was again worked when Scott Neilson hit the target with a free kick.

The Silkmen were forced into a change when Ryan Jackson picked up a knock, and was replaced by Charlie Henry, before Keiran Murtagh's strike from outside the area flew wide. This sparked a spell of Macc pressure as first Matthew Barnes-Homer saw a shot saved for a corner. Pablo Mills met the corner with a shot which was blocked on the line and deflected for another before the home side could finally clear their lines.

Neilson continued to test Cronin with two long range efforts in two minutes and the Silkmen stopper had to be on form again soon afterwards when Elding tried his luck shot after a Thanoj corner.

And it was Thanoj who next tested Cronin with just under 20 minutes remaining and Aswad Thomas fired wide a few moments afterwards, either side of a Charlie Henry strike which went over.

But the Silkmen took the lead with seven minutes to play as Amari Morgan-Smith was breaking away and got into the box before being taken down by Pond. This time the referee pointed to the spot and Barnes-Homer put it away with a trademark finish.

MBH could have doubled the score with two good chances that saw his shots saved by McKeown, before the home side were reduced to 10 men. Neilson kicking out at Keiran Murtagh, and having no complaints about being shown his red card.

But instead of being a final blow, this sparked the home side back into life and Lance Cronin was forced to make an excellent save from Andy Cook and could only watch as the rebound was hit onto the post, but the Silkmen held on to gain a clean sheet and three vital points.

    Latest Match Reports