Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:08 PM

Silkmen come back to draw

The Silkmen pulled another two goal comeback out of the bag as they took a point from Gateshead thanks to an acrobatic goal from Matthew Barnes-Homer and a header from Chris Holroyd.

As has been the story for the last few games, the Silkmen seemed to have had the better of the first half, but failed to take chances.

After a slow start, the first chance of the game fell to Murtagh, who fired his shot over the bar in the 13th minute. Barnes-Homer forced the match's first save seven minutes later from range, but it caused no problems for Bartlett in the Gateshead goal.

The closest the home side came in the opening half hour was Yemi Odubade who fired wide from near the penalty spot and an 18 yard drive from Gillies which Cronin had no trouble in holding.

At the other end, a Wedgbury shot was blocked and crosses from Barnes-Homer and Kissock caused problems before being cleared. MBH was then flagged as offside before Morgan-Smith forced another save from Bartlett.

But with just under 10 minutes of the first half remaining, Jamie Chandler opened the scoring for the home side, hitting a low drive into the bottom left of Lance Cronin's goal after an incisive pass from Odubade.

The Silkmen had half chances towards the end of the half as Kissock's corner was punched clear, and he then saw a free kick drift harmlessly over.

The Second half saw Braham-Barrett clearing a McGlenn cross before Kissock again tested Bartlett. Long range efforts from Wedgbury and Murtagh both missed the target and then Bartlett was a match for Mendy's strike.

Chris Bush hit his strike over the bar and Magnay then forced a save from Cronin and Gillies also made the Silkmen custodian work before they doubled their lead. It was Gillies who was the provider as he found James Curtis with a pinpoint cross that he nodded past Cronin.

But the Silkmen sparked into life and after Morgan-Smith was replaced by Holroyd - which would later prove an astute move, it was only moments before it was 2-1. A cross from Ryan Jackson finding Barnes-Homer who spun to meet it with an incredible overhead kick.

Kissock saw his long range effort comfortably saved before a raft of substitutions ate up time and momentum in the match, with the Silkmen's seeing Mackreth coming on for Wedgbury. A few minutes later, Chris Holroyd met a Kissock corner with a header that bundled it's way over the line.

Nat Brown then saw a shot from a Murtagh corner blocked by Curtis before Cronin had one more piece of action to do to tip a Donaldson shoot over the bar.

    Latest Match Reports