Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:08 PM

Silkmen beaten at Aggborough

The Silkmen were well beaten at Kidderminster Harriers after dominating the first 43 minutes of the game.

There were plenty of Macclesfield chances early on, but despite taking plenty of shots at the visitors goal the Silkmen were unable to take an early lead with Kidderminster were also not shy of having a crack early on.

Peter Winn fired in a chance from just outside the area which flew wide before Demetriou also missed the target. The Silkmen's and the matches first shot on target came from Matthew Barnes-Homer, the former Kidderminster man but it was again from range and only found Vaughn in the Kidderminster goal.

The Silkmen were controlling most of the posession and having the better chances, but Waide Fairhurst opted to lay off to Henry when he looked in a decent position to shoot himself, and then Henry's cross was gathered before Fairhurst had another chance, which was caught by Vaughn.

Several crosses were put in from both flanks, which only needed a firm connection to potentially open the scoring, but time and again they failed to find a blue shirt.

By the half hour mark, the Silkmen were getting well in control, but simply couldn't make the possession in dangerous areas pay. Peter Winn fired over - again from outside the box - before both Mendy and Braham-Barrett chanced their luck to no avail. Among this, the home side saw a long range effort by Malbon fly wide, but the home side then managed to take the lead just before the break.

The Silkmen had seen a Henry corner cleared moments earlier and the home side swept to the other end, winning a corner of their own. Taken by Callum Gittings, it was met by the head of Cheyenne Dunkley who put the ball past Cronin from close range.

The Silkmen ended the half on the attack as a Jackson cross was put behind for a corner, but Winn's flag kick was headed away as the final whistle was blown.

Half Time

Early in the second half, the home side won a free kick, and they were lucky to see the ball deflected into the danger area by the wall, but Cronin did well to palm the ball wide. From the corner, there was another free header close in, but this time Cronin could tip the ball over the bar. 

After having been on the back foot for much of the opening 45, Harriers started the second in the acendency, and Briggs again went close with the half still less than five minutes old.

And the second goal wasn't far behind as the Silkmen looked to pull up for an offside shout before Rowe found himself free to poke the ball home. The Macclesfield side's appeals to the linesman falling on deaf ears.
Rowe then had another chance with a shot from inside the area, but Cronin was equal to the task.

A spell of Silkmen pressure saw chances for Barnes-Homer, Mendy and then Peter Winn before the Harriers managed to take control of the ball, but the home goal remained unbreached.

Kidderminster won another corner when the defence opened for Briggs' shot, but Lance Cronin tipped the ball wide.

The Silkmen won a free kick wide on the left as Holroyd replaced Peter Winn, but although the kick caused a bit of panic in the Kidderminster box, it was cleared.

Kidderminster's third came when Johnsons ran on to a through-ball and found himself one on one with Cronin, to slot past him to make it 3-0 surely game over.

The Silkmen did rally with a Fairhurst shot that was well saved by Vaughn, and soon after Holroyd found Morgan Smith with a good pass. His cross was somehow missed by all three Macc players in the box. Murtagh then found the side netting from a narrow angle.

Even with 10 minutes remaining, the game was over as a contest, and neither side really made many inroads, with the home side more than happy to rest on their laurels, soaking up the Silkmen attack and working on the break to extend their lead.

Macc looked for a consolation as Barnes-Homer hit a decent strike just wide of the post, 

    Latest Match Reports