Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:08 PM

Silkmen leave it late to take point.

The Silkmen were off to a slow start and the game was only five minutes old when the home side opened the scoring as a ball in from the right found Brown in the six yard box and he sidefooted home.

And it was only six minutes later that the score was doubled. Again it was a ball in from the right, and the referee adjudged Matthew Barnes-Homer to have handled the ball - with the Silkmen claiming 'ball to hand' - and the official pointed at the spot.

James Armson stepped up to the spot and put it home past Lance Cronin.

The first half after this point had a dearth of opportunities for both sides as Nuneaton were happy to soak up any Silkmen pressure and attempt to attack on the break. But the Silkmen were unable to make any of the pressure count and the best opportunity saw a McNamee shot drifting over the bar from just outside the area.

At the other end Kieran Charnock was in the right place at the right time to block a shot for a corner which was cleared, but the first 45 minutes ended without much in the way of goalmouth action.

The second half began at a similar slow pace and it was almost 15 minutes in before the Silkmen were testing the home defence with any level of vigour. It was Ryan Jackson at the centre of the attacks and he first flashed a shot past the far post after a great turn to find space in the area, and moments later he crossed into the six yard box, but neither Matthew Barnes-Homer or JP Kissock could meet it for the all-important touch.

Chances remained at a premium and the best on offer were a free kick from Nuneaton that flew wide to the right of the goal whilst the Silkmen went close when Chris Holroyd floated a header just over the bar from Barnes-Homer's flicked ball into the box.

It took until the 70th minute for the game to spark into life, and it was the Silkmen who found the net. The defence was opened up with a threaded pass to Keiran Murtagh, who turned on the ball and slotted past the onrushing 'keeper.

Kissock fired a powerful volley over the bar before the Silkmen made a couple of changes, first replacing McNamee with Fairhurst and a few minutes later taking off Kissock for Amari Morgan-Smith.

But the home side were the ones to trouble the scorers, and it was route-one as a long punt upfield was left by the Silkmen defence to bounce twice before Danny Sleath won the race to get there first and poked it past Cronin for a seemingly unassailable lead with less than 15 minutes remaining.

But this season's Silkmen don't give up and continued to press forward, with the home side's defence remaining solid until the game was approaching injury time. The Silkmen's probing attacks finally bore fruit as the ball wasn't cleared by the Nuneaton defence and Matthew Barnes-Homer reacted fastest to poke the ball home through a crowd of players.

And it was only a minute later that the Silkmen were level. Arnaud Mendy receiving the ball after a cross from the right and blasting home from the edge of the area. There was some confusion as the flag was raised to disallow the goal, but the referee overturned the decision as the offside player was in no way interfering with play.

The Silkmen almost took all three points as Barnes-Homer was put through, but beaten to the ball by Nuneaton 'keeper Collett, but he spilled the ball only for the defence to close in before the striker could pull the trigger.

    Latest Match Reports