Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:08 PM

Silkmen win by odd goal in seven.

The Silkmen headed back from Edgeley Park this evening with all three points in the bag after a pulsating ninety minutes of football, the highlight of which was undoubtedly the hat-trick for loanee striker Chris Holroyd.

After an opening 20 minutes which saw the home side clearly having the best of the game with the Silkmen doing well to get heads to crosses and corners whilst Croning was called into action to deal with a ball whipped in by Darkwah, the home side took the lead as Danny Hattersley finished into the top corer.

It sparked an incredible 11 minutes and less than four minutes later the Silkmen were level. A great Macc move saw Murtagh on the edge of the area. He layed the ball off to Holroyd who took a touch and then wrong-footed a defender before  curling the ball past the keeper.

Straight from the kick off the home side were back in front. The ball was played back and launched forward. It was nodded down to Whitehead who hit a great strike into the roof of the net from all of 25 yards.

But again the lead only lasted a few minutes as the Silkmen won a cornerm and Kissock's ball was only cleared back to him. His second pass in found Holroys who make it 2-2 from insude the six yard box.

Stockport rallied and Braham-Barrett had to be sharp to hack away the ball after a dangerous cross in, and the corner was then flashed past the post.

But it was the Silkmen who went closest late on ini the half as Peter Winn's shot was deflected onto the post with the County keeper helpless to do anything but watch, before Holroyd got the ball at a wide angle, but his shot across the face of goal rolled just wide.

The Second half started with a Silkmen chance as MBH's shot on the turn flew wide and Braham Barrett had a great run that resulted in a corner. But it was only five minutes into the half that the Silkmen, thanks to Holroyd, took the lead. 

The Silkmen won a free kickright on the edge of the area, and Kissock took the kick, but it was half cleared. Worked wide to Kissock it was played in again by Barnes-Homer and found Chris Holroyd in the six yard box with an unstoppable finish, taken brilliantly with his back to goal.

But again the lead didn't last long and just over 10 minutes had past when a Stockport corner which saw O'Donnell made it 3-3 after a backpost header from a corner.

Jack Mackreth went close, but it wasn't until late on that the Silkmen took the decisive lead. Amari Morgan-Smith and Anthony McNamee had both come off the bench and it was the latter who would win the game. 

The Silkmen had a handful of great chances with Winn and Barnes homesr going close before winning a free kick wide left. The ball then almost finding the back of the Macc net but for a great Croning save.

The winner came as a great cross caused the Stockport defence to panic and Tunnicliffe put the ball past his own 'keeper.

The home side pushed and tried after that but were unable to force another equaliser.

    Latest Match Reports