Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:08 PM

Silkmen defeated by Hatters

The Silkmen were beaten at Kenilworth Road in a game which saw the main damage done in the first half, before two late goals gave the scoreline a flattering feel.

It couldn't have been a worse start for the Silkmen as the home side attacked from kick off and before a blue shirt had touched the ball, Andre Gray had a shot which was saved, but only found Jack Howell inside the six yard box who had the goal at his mercy to open the scoring after just 45 seconds.

The Silkmen could have equalised just 40 seconds later, also straight from kick-off, as the Silkmen attacked down the left but Charlie Henry's cross missed everyone when the smallest of touches would have seen it deflected home for an immediate reply.

The two sides exchanged attacks, Braham-Barret's cross being cleared and Rendell missing the target from close in, but Luton doubled their lead with only 17 minutes on the clock. This time it was from a corner which saw Gray unmarked to head home from inside the area.

Macc were looking dangerouis when they did attack, often on the break, and won a couple of corners, but were unable to make the most of the opportunities.

Another good chance for Luton saw Gray given a chance after a misplaced Macc pass in midfield, but he couldonly blaze over from a wide angle just outside the six yard box.

The Silkmen had a chance from a free kick which was headed wide by MBH, but they couldn't pull back the goal they wanted before half time. The Silkmen ended the half with a good penalty shout as Braham-Barrett nutmegged Beckwith, and was shoved to the ground, but nothing was given, much to the fury of the Silkmen support and players.

The final act of the half for the Silkmen was a free kick about 25 yards from goal after a rare foul given in the Silkmen's favour, but Henry only found the arms of the goalkeeper Tyler.

Macc started the second half well and it was only five minutes into the second period that the Silkmen had halved Luton's lead, Charlie Henry was fouled by Howells, and took the free kick himself. He found the head of Nat Brown who then found the back of the net from close range.

The Silkmen had started to really put a stamp on the game and had a magnificent chance just before the hour mark. A corner was played in by Henry, and the Silkmen were lining up to shoot and Brown and Mendy both saw shots blocked before it fell to Charnock, who hit it over from eight yards. 

Mendy went close again a few minutes later as Mendy looked to have scuffed a shot, and the Luton 'keeper was happy to watch it wide, but misjudged the flight and it rolled only inches past the post.

Cronin was in action with 20 minutes to go, but it was the Silkmen making the better chances and Holroyd saw a powerful shot crashing off the underside of the bar and rebounding off the ground - with Barnes Homer appealing for the goal - it fell to Mendy who hit it back goalwards, only for it to be blocked on the line.

The Silkmen then replaced Charlie Henry to give Amari Morgan-Smith his debut for the club.

The home side won a free kick, but were keeping more players back in the second half to combat the Silkmen's dominance of the half, and it was played straight to Cronin who immediately tried to find one of the four Macc players who had stayed up.

Fairhurst was the next addition for the Silkmen, coming off the bench for Chris Holroyd and Tony Diagne replaced Carl Martin who had taken a nasty bang to the head earlier in the game.

But the home side were always going to be dangerous on the break, and another misplaced pass from the Silkmen let the home side attack and Gray rolled the ball to Rendell who had the goal to choose from and made it 3-1.

The Silkmen won a corner soon after, and Charnock was clearly shoved over by Taylor in the six yard box, causing more complaints from the Silkmen supporters.

Watkins went close for Luton with the 90th minute approaching, but his shot from 25 yards was well saved by Cronin, and the home side started to timewaste with the ball in the corner from the corner.

The Silkmen were still pressing and Luton had another break again to give the result an unfair looking slant as substitute Woolley, who slid the ball through to Fleetwood who had a simple chance to slot the ball past Cronin for 4-1 with only seconds remaining.

    Latest Match Reports