Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Jul 12 at 23:08 PM

Silkmen record rare Lincoln win.

Macclesfield Town picked up their first win at Sincil Bank since February 2001 thanks to goals from Waide Fairhurst, Matthew Barnes Homer and Chris Holroyd.

The Silkmen led early, but were pegged back by Lincoln before the break Barnes-Homer scored the rebound at the second attempt after Fairhurst's second half penalty was saved to restore the Silkmen's lead before Holroyd netted moments after his introduction from the bench.

Lincoln netted soon after to make for a nervy last few minutes, but the Silkmen held on to win.

The Silkmen were an attacking threat throughout the match and had already caused problems in the Lincoln box - The Lincoln 'keeper having to make two saves, and Charlie Henry shooting wide - before the visitors took the lead.

It was Waide Fairhurst who doubled his account for the season to take the lead. Taking a touch to control Matthew Barnes-Homer's cross, he fired into the top corner.

Macclesfield were throwing the form book in this fixture out of the window and putting the home side under pressure, with excellent attacking football creating openings, but the Silkmen unable to put the chances away.

And Lincoln managed to level the game out of nowhere. The Imps long ball game was being dealt with well. Y the Silkmen defence, but a slip by Nat Brown let James Taylor have a shot at goal which Lance Cronin could do nothing to stop.

This settled the home side and the last 15 minutes of the half were a more even affair, Cronin called into action to save from Taylor whilst Barnes-Homer saw his shot deflected wide at the other end.

The half time break allowed the Silkmen get back to the attacking mentality that they had started the first with and within two minutes of the restart Charlie Henry and Matthew Barnes-Homer had seen shots flying wide.

Luke Daly and Jamie Taylor made sure it wasn't one way traffic with shots that also flew wide, but most of the goalmouth action came at the Lincoln end as Kissock, Murtagh and Fairhurst all tried their luck.

Lincoln's Gary Mills tested Cronin with a free kick, before the Silkmen retook the lead. An attack saw Kissock getting into the box, but was fouled for a penalty.

Waide Fairhurst stepped up but saw his shot saved well. But Matthew Barnes-Homer reacted fastest, and again the shot was saved. But it was third time lucky for the Silkmen as MBH finally chipped it home with 15 minutes remaining.

And then it looked like game over 10 minutes later. Both sides had made changes and the disruption had slowed the game. One of these saw Chris Holroyd replacing Waide Fairhurst and there was an immediate impact from the debutant. With almost his first touch of the game he took the ball away from the defence and drew the 'keeper before chipping into the back of the net for 3-1.

The Silkmen were on the way to a first win at Sincil Bank in more than a decade, but it wasn't going to be plain sailing.

Two minutes after the Silkmen had extended their lead, Boyce found himself at the far post as a cross came in and side footed it into the roof of the net.

In the remaining minute of normal time and five added on, the Imps pressed. A corner saw home 'keeper Farman in the Silkmen box and Lincoln won a free kick a hard outside the area. But after a scramble, Cronin saved on the line and the clearance saw the final whistle.

    Latest Match Reports