Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Jan 10 at 18:30 PM

Port Vale 0-0 Macclesfield

Macclesfield Town fought out a 0-0 draw at Vale Park to make it eight points from five games.

The home side certainly had the better of the first 45 minutes on a pudding of a pitch, but the final ball from the home side rarely caused the Silkmen problems. After just six minutes, a cross from the right was headed straight at Jon Brain as neither side coped with the poor surface.

After 11 minutes, the Silkmen had the ball in the back of the net when an advanced Izak Reid who brought the ball down and slotted it past Martin in the Vale goal only to be flagged for what looked like a close-call offside.

A minute later at the other end the home side went close to opening the scoring themselves. Jon Brain, on the way to another clean-sheet did well to parry a shot and Lewis Haldane reacted quickest, but fired over the bar.

The home side were exerting a lot of pressure on the Silkmen without really testing Brainy and they won a string of corners which were well dealt with by the Silkmen back line.

The half was coming to a close before Macc really looked like they might be a threat. First Emile Sinclair was unlucky to see the ball bobble on the dreadful pitch before taking his shot, and saw it flying over the bar, and a few moments later it was Sinclair in action again as he beat two men to find space to shoot, but failed to find the target.

After half time Craig Lindfield replaced Junior Daniel, who was suffering with a calf problem, and the Silkmen started to work their way back into the game. An early corner was cleared before Lee Bell his a long shot straight at the 'keeper.

Ricky Sappleton then had two chances in two minutes as he ran onto the ball, outmuscled a defender and then shot into the side netting before beating a man on the edge of the area and shooting over the bar.

Jon Brain was thanking the woodwork shortly afterwards as Craig Davies used a great bit of skill to get away from Nat Brown, and fired a curling shot onto the crossbar.

Ben Wright replaced Sappleton, himself struggling with a slight knock but neither side was able to really impose themselves on the match. The Silkmen went close when Lee Bell's cross/shot was just flicked wide of the post and a home free-kick was blasted harmlessly over the bar.

There was little in the way of goalmouth action in the closing minutes and both sides seemed to settle for a 0-0 draw.

    Latest Match Reports