Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Dec 09 at 17:17 PM

Shrewsbury Town 2 Macclesfield Town 2

The Silkmen were cruelly denied a well deserved three points at the Prostar Stadium this afternoon thanks to a 96th minute injury time equaliser from Shrewsbury's Dave Hibbert.

It was extremely harsh on Macc who had dealt with all the home side had to throw at them in the second half and will return to Cheshire no doubt feeling aggrieved at firstly why referee Paul Tierney chose to add so much additional time. And more importantly why Ben Wright's 80th minute effort, which seemed to clearly cross the line, was not allowed to stand.

The Silkmen had gone in at half time ahead thanks to goals from Nat Brown and Colin Daniel. Sandwiched in between their strikes was an equaliser from Walde Fairhurst in a mad three minutes in first half stoppage time. But that was not before Carl Tremarco had seen his 39th minute penalty kick saved by keeper David Button. And whilst a point prior to kick-off would have been seen as a good result, there was an overriding sense of injustice as the final whistle blew.

The New Meadow is apparently built on the site of an old road called 'ThievesLane' and it was an appropriate location as Macc outplayed their opponents only to be pegged back with almost the last move of the match.

The Silkmem had the best early chance through Junior Daniel, who was a top performer throughout the game. A fantastic mazy run was blocked off with a foul but Sean Hessey hit the free kick well wide. The home side's best chance of the first half was thwarted by a brilliantly timed block by Paul Morgan

The majority of the action was taking place in midfield, with chances limited at either end. The Silkmen hit a corner too close to the Shrews 'keeper before another run from Daniel, rapidly becoming a trademark, ended with a shot that was deflected out for a corner.

The Silkmen were then given a great chance to take the lead as a late challenge on Bolland was given as a penalty. Carl Tremarco stepped up in front of the Silkmen support, but his low shot was to close to the 'keeper and saved.

Junior Daniel shot wide from a free kick and then a cracking move was Emile's drilled low cross flicked on by a Ben Wright back-heel, but no one was on hand to force the ball over the line and it was nodded out for a corner.

The goal was coming though and from that corner, Nat Brown was first to the ball to head home.

Nat Brown Luton

It was an amazing few minutes of injury time and the home side were in raptures a minute later when Fairhurst side-footed home
From close range after a low cross from the left.

But Macc were not to be outdone and one of the best pieces of football of the season saw an exquisite 1-2 between Junior and Emile to set Junior into the box to slot home a great finish.


Another good move won the Silkmen a corner, but the referee decided time was up before Tremarco even had chance to take the kick. The Silkmen supporters went into the break hoping he would be as decisive in his time-keeping at full time.

The blues could have extended their lead early in the second half as a Ben Wright cross was held at the feet of Sinclair.

The home side won two corners which were cleared and at the other end a massive handball shout was waved away.

With Carl Tremarco already playing with a bandaged head, Sean Hessey was added to the walking wounded as a terrible challenge with a high foot caught him in the head and left him off the pitch for treatment.

The Silkmen had more chances to extend the lead as a looping Ben Wright header drifted over the bar and a Junior Daniel shot went wide.

Sean Hessey was then unbelievably booked for time-wasting after taking all of 10 seconds to position the ball for a free kick, the look of confusion on his face as the card was shown telling it's own story.

The best chance came soon after with another really well worked move. The passes across goal found Ben Wright who side-footed goalwards. The replay will need to be seen to be sure, but the reaction of both the Macc and Shrewsbury players, as well as the crowd behind the goal indicated that the ball was well over the line, but just as against Grimsby, the officials were not to be swayed play continued.

This would be he last serious goal mouth action at the right end and soon after the fourth official signalled five minutes of added time. The figure if five minutes was controversial enough and the home side won a corner that saw the 'keeper up in he box, but the breakaway didn't see the ball falling kindly to Junior Daniel to attempt a long range lob into the empty net.

Five minutes had come and gone as the home side won a free kick and the match was into its 96th minute when it was taken and headed home by Hibbert.

There was just enough time for the Silkmen to kick off before full time gave Shrewsbury an undeserved point.

    Latest Match Reports