Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Sep 09 at 18:08 PM

Chesterfield 4 Macclesfield Town 1

A first half horror show condemned the Silkmen to defeat at Saltergate this afternoon. Goals from first Wade Small, then Jack Lester, Jamie Lowery and Donal McDermott helped the Spireites to a commanding four goal lead in the first period.

The terrible first-half performance from the Silkmen ensured that the last trip to Saltergate (Chesterfield expect to move to a new stadium next season) was over as a contest before the half time whistle had blown.

The home side, however, took the lead in controversial circumstances. There appeared to be three players in an off-side position as a ball was played through to Small who took it forward and slotted past Veiga in the fourth minute.

With the Silkmen seeming to lack any confidence whatsoever, the goal boosted the home side who then won a string of corners as Macc failed to make a comprehensive clearance.

Colin Daniel came close to carving a good opening when a powerful run down the left flank saw him beat his man on the by-line, but his low cross was too close to the goalkeeper.

That and a Lee Bell shot which was easily saved was the sum of Macc's attacking threat in the first half.

At the other end, Shaun Brisley did very well to throw himself in front of a shot from Jack Lester, who had found himself well in the clear, but it wasn't long before the second goal came.

Just over half an hour had gone when Chesterfield won another corner, and Lester's shot somehow made it's way through a crowd of players to make it over the line before Carl Tremarco could get over to hook it clear.

Five minutes later Lowry hit the third. It was another poor clearance for the Silkmen who had only managed to find the edge of the area, and the Chesterfield player, and he dispatched a powerful shot past Veiga.

The Silkmen made two changes a few minutes before half-time as John Rooney came on for Lee Bell and Emile Sinclair replaced Colin Daniel.

Jose Veiga was in action again as he made a great save from a Jack Lester header, but the fourth goal came shortly afterwards as McDermot was in space to receive a low cross, and curled a shot home to the far post.

The second half saw an improvement from the Silkmen and despite the home side still looking to create a plethora of chances, the defence, and Jose in particular were in better form.

Jose's first action of the half saw a flying save to tip a Cheltenham free-kick over the bar.

The home side were maintaining the lions share of the possession but didn't quite hit their first half highs.

The Silkmen could have scored a consolation through Matty Tipton who reacted well to a Rooney free-kick and flicked the ball over the 'keeper, but only found a man on the back post.

Ben Wright replaced Ricky Sappleton and was involved in the eventual consolation goal. Taking the ball on his chest, he layed the ball off to Matty Tipton who himself found John Rooney. Rooney's perfect through-ball set Bencherif away, and his poked his shot past the Chesterfield 'keeper.

John Rooney almost added a second with a long range shot that skimmed the top of the bar, but it was the Silkmen's man of the match Jose Veiga who had the last significant action, darting out of goal to tackle Jack Lester on the edge of the area to prevent a fifth goal.

    Latest Match Reports