Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Sep 09 at 18:44 PM

Macclesfield Town 1 - 1 Barnet

Ricky Sappleton's second goal for Macclesfield wasn't enough to earn three points as skipper Paul Morgan headed into his own goal later in the first half to give Barnet a deserved point.

Keith Alexander made just one change to the side that lost late on at Crewe last week, with Nat Brown returning from injury to make his first start of the season at Shaun Brisley's expense.

Versatile Hamza Bencherif, operating again in midfield, crashed the first effort of the game wide before a minute was on the clock and Sappleton gave Barnet an early warning, heading wide from a corner on the right.

Albert Adomah started brightly for Barnet, his strong run across the pitch allowed him to give the ball to Yannick Bolasie in space and the winger's first time effort curled just over.

In the ninth minute the two combined again, this time Bolasie supplying Adomah who ghosted in at the far post and Carl Tremarco had to make a brave sliding block to deny him.

Sappleton opened the scoring in style in the 13th minute when he collected a ball forward which was flicked on by Nat Brown and after turning onto his left foot blasted low into the corner giving Jake Cole no chance.


Ricky Sappleton - Drew first blood with a thumping low drive

Veteran striker Paul Furlong almost levelled soon after when he flicked the ball past keeper Jose Veiga and Irish defender Morgan had to get back to clear off the line as the 40-year-old looked to knock the ball in.

Adomah was forced off due to an injury ten minutes before the break which was a big blow to Barnet as he had looked dangerous in the first half hour.

The visitors came agonizingly close to equalising on 37 minutes when Bencherif made a rash challenge on Mark Hughes who charged onto a low cut back cross.As the penalty claims were waved away it fell to skipper Micah Hyde ten yards out who scuffed a shot which bounced back off the foot of the post, across goal and fortunately to Tremarco to knock clear.

Before the break the Bees did find the net when John O'Flynn crossed from the right and skipper Morgan, trying to head clear, glanced a header into the far cornerpast Veiga.

A tighter second half led to few chances for either side.Ten minutes into the second period Ross Draper brought down O'Flynn and former Silkman Ahmed Deen hit the free kick straight into the wall from 25 yards.

Nat Brown's left footed volley was blocked by League Two Player of the Month Ishmail Yakubu and a clever free kick routine from Macc saw Matthew Tipton's shot from the edge of the box also well closed down.

Nat Brown Luton

Nat Brown - Looked solid on his return and commanding in the air

At the other end Furlong found space to reach Albert Jarrett's cross unmarked but his header was far too close to Veiga to cause the keeper a problem.

John Rooney came on for Tipton for the final ten minutes and tested Cole soon after his introduction with a rasping drive which could only be beaten away after the young forward had cut in from the left.

The Silkmen forced a string of corners in the final few minutes but created just one clear cut opportunity when Rooney and fellow sub Emile Sinclair combined.Rooney'a deep cross from the left fell to Sinclair at the back post but after delaying his effort he let the ball run wide and eventually it was blocked by Clovis Kamdjo.

Andy Brinkhurst

    Latest Match Reports