Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Aug 09 at 18:50 PM

Macclesfield Town 1 – 3 Rotherham United

Rotherham United recorded their second away win of the season at the Moss Rose after Adam Le Fondre's goal on the break and Tom Pope's header gave them a two goal lead.

Matthew Tipton pulled one back before the break but despite spells of heavy pressure Macclesfield couldn't find an equaliser and Danny Harrison sealed the points with minutes to go.

Keith Alexander gave Macc debuts to two players, Cape Verde international Jose Veiga started in the home goal and burly on-loan striker Ricky Sappleton led the line up front.


Jose Veiga - Made his Macc debut and looked confident with excellent distribution

The visitors began strongly with winger Paul Warne twice going close in the opening minutes - first forcing Veiga into action with a low drive and then sending a half volley whistling past the post after connecting with Le Fondre's cross from the left.

On nine minutes Tipton should have bagged his third of the season when played through by Sappleton but with so much time to pick his spot he placed wide of keeper Andy Warrington's near post.

Chances came thick and fast at both ends in the first half hour, Dale Tonge's drive was well held by Veiga after a neat one-two with Pope on the edge of the box and for the Silkmen Sappleton touched a cross back to Tipton and his off-balance looping effort was clawed away by the fingertips of Warrington.

Pope and Le Fondre looked to have a good understanding and they almost combined to break the deadlock when Pope turned Morgan in the box and hit a low cross-shot which Le Fondre just couldn't quite stretch enough to reach as he slid in at the far post.

The first goal for the visitors came on 24 minutes and courtesy of a slick counter attack after a Macc corner was cleared.A good passing move worked the ball out to the right flank and a near post cross picked out ex-Stockport and Rochdale striker Le Fondre's run perfectly as he got in front of his man to head in to open the scoring for the third League game in a row.

The goal boosted the Millers' confidence and Pope almost doubled the lead soon after when his shot on the turn was deflected just over.

The Silkmen spurned a fantastic chance to level through Colin Daniel on 34 minutes. Carl Tremarco's long throw caused problems in the Rotherham box and after a poor punch from Warrington and a lame defensive header the ball dropped to the former Crewe man who slammed a left footed volley wide.

Macc were made to pay for the missed opportunity as soon after they were two down in controversial circumstances.Shaun Brisley looked to have come away with the ball fairly with a challenge on the touchline but the referee blew for a Millers free kick. The young defender was booked for kicking the ball away in frustration and worse was to come as the set piece was glanced in by Pope - the slightest touch enough to carry the ball past Veiga's dive and into the far corner.

With the half drawing to a close the Silkmen got back into the game and scored at a great time just moments before the interval.Daniel raced on to a long ball over the top and cut inside Millers skipper Ian Sharps before laying off to Tipton who fired a first time shot into the roof of the net from ten yards.


Matthew Tipton - Scored his third of the season just before half time, but should have hit the net earlier

Half chances were wasted for both sides at the start of the second period, Macc began to look more dangerous out wide with good balls into the box by Tremarco and Daniel causing particular problems.

Just after the hour Tipton was found by Daniel and after cutting in from the right his 20 yard effort seemed to catch Warrington unaware who palmed the ball up in the air and got back to collect it just before it dropped over the goal line.

Nicky Law, who had an impressive game on the wing for Rotherham, beat Izak Reid not for the first time on 70 minutes and his dangerous cross was turned behind by Morgan under pressure but the corner came to nothing.

Paul Morgan almost had an embarrassing moment when he tried to stretched to cut out Law's cross from the right and with Veiga beaten, the ball ricocheted off the Macc skipper and clipped the outside of the post before going behind.

The Silkmen pressed forward, throwing on more attacking players in John Rooney and Emile Sinclair for a final push but despite a long period of possession in opposition territory couldn't create any further clear cut chances.

Penalty claims were waved away at both ends, firstly when Macc sub Lee Bell blocked a powerful shot in the box and the Millers claimed it struck his arm. For the Silkmen Daniel went down after he was clearly clipped by Sharps (below) when closing in on goal but again the referee decided there was no wrong-doing.


Throughout the second half it never looked like the game would end 2-1 and that either Macc would find a leveller or the Millers would nick a third.Unfortunately for the Silkmen it was the latter with the home side throwing caution to the wind and playing with just three at the back.Tremarco found himself outnumbered when Tonge fed substitute Ryan Taylor and he slipped the ball inside to the unmarked Harrison who stroked the ball low into the corner with three minutes to go to end any chance of a comeback.

Andy Brinkhurst

    Latest Match Reports